I was in the mood for pesto and I wanted to make it myself. Better for the environment than buying it in a plastic tub. Plus there is nothing like the smell of fresh basil! It’s almost as satisfying as the smell of fresh laundry. Brief sidebar, I used to stick my face in the washer after the spin cycle and sniff the laundry. I don’t know what it is…HEAVEN! 😉
Anyway, so here’s my recipe:
- 1/3 cup (of super expensive) pine nuts. It is what it is!
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (the recipe I chose called for 1/2 cup but it was over the top :(! You can always add more if you prefer)
- 2 cups packed (fresh!) Basil
- 1/2 cup (fresh!) grated parmesan OR Romano cheese
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- Salt to taste
- Food processor
Here’s what you do:
- With a food processor blend the basil and pine nuts (a few pulses)
- Add Garlic and pulse a few more times
- Add olive oil and cheese and let ‘er rip! Note: if you have a food processor that allows you to drizzle the olive oil while blending, more power to you! I had to dump it in. But you gotta start somewhere!